Thursday, February 21, 2013

Being Alone

We have not yet gained possession of our house keys. If all goes well, tomorrow morning she will become ours. Every weed, every crack, every dusty corner, she is ours. Our first house together where our first child could grow up in! With that said, I have spent this week of vacation calling and comparing prices of landscapers, roofers, electricians, and cleaners! I have found a cleaning service I love and a landscaper I love. Next Friday they will pull out every weed and dust every corner of the house. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. My type A, organized personality is ecstatic!

One goal I have for myself is to spend more time alone and to feel comfortable doing so. I am a social butterfly and fill my alone time with phone distractions, lunch dates or phone calls. There is something about being alone that forces you to know yourself on a deeper, honest level. So today, in between appointments at the house, I bought myself a passion hot tea, resisted a chocolate chunk cookie, and read Gone Girl at my new Starbucks. I familiarized myself with the new Starbucks crowd and furniture. I see many sunny afternoons outside on the patio. I appreciated every smile and every warm face in our new neighborhood.

There is something about buying a house that forces you to feel more settled. I'm realizing this could be home for a long, long time. No more renting, no more moving. I want to become a regular in the stores and know the people who live around me. I think the last two months of waiting, and not knowing about the outcome of the house, had more of an effect on me that I realized. There is something about knowing the keys will be in my hands soon, leaves me with a calm feeling. So today, I sit alone in a state of calm and excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment